2018 Poetry Information
Hey Kids! Do you want to practice your poem before a local cowboy poet to get some extra help?
Come to a “Spurrin’ in the Words” Practice Session with
Sam DeLeeuw – Professional Female Poet
Wed. Feb. 28, 2018 7 p.m.
Canyon Elem. Media Center east of Mountain Crest High School
270 South 1300 East
(Enter through main doors of school)
Cache Valley Cowboy Rendezvous will be offering a Kids Cowboy Poetry Contest on Saturday morning March 4th at 9 a.m. in the Auditorium at Mt. Crest High School. Since one of our goals is to keep the western culture “alive”, we want to give the children a chance to share the microphone, practice some public speaking skills, and enjoy this great western heritage, encouraging a new way of helping youth learn to write, read and recite!
- Open to all youth up to and including High School Seniors.
- There will be 4 age divisions: Preschool – 2nd grade; 3 – 5th grade; 6 – 8th grade; 9 – 12th grade.
- Poetry can be in two categories:
- “Original Poetry” – poetry composed and recited by the student. (5 extra points will be given for original poetry).
- “Recited Poetry” – poetry composed by another author but recited by student.
- Poetry must be based on western life and culture.
- Each youth must memorize his/her presentation.
- 1 Poem / person.
- Poetry recitation time: 3 – 4 minutes.
- Poet must be dressed in jeans and long sleeve shirt or in tasteful, western attire.
- Prizes: All participants will receive a prize. The 5 top poets in each division and category will receive a gift certificate to Smith & Edwards in the amount of: 1st Place: $50; 2nd Place: $40; 3rd Place: $30; 4th Place: $20 5th Place: $10
- Youth can participate in BOTH the “Kid’s Poetry Contest” AND the “Patriotic Poetry Contest”
Start yur learnin’ rimes’ kids!
Additional Information to help you get ready: